View Our Practice Areas

Fighting A Ticket Now Can Prevent Indefinite Revocation Later

At Martin A. Kron & Associates, P.C., we caution our clients to take every traffic violation seriously. In our three decades of practice, we have seen numerous clients haunted by violations that occurred years in the past. We caution that you should never plead guilty to an offense before talking to an attorney.

Prior convictions on your driving record can lead to increases in insurance premiums, inability to obtain a commercial driver's license or suspension due to points accumulation. Did you know that in New York, you could have your license suspended indefinitely due to three or more serious violations within the prior 25 years ?

Fight to prevent losing your driving privileges temporarily or permanently with our help. Call us at 212-691-0175 or email our lawyers for a initial consultation.

What Offenses Are Considered Serious To Lose My License Indefinitely?

If you have three or more serious traffic violations on your record and you are convicted of even a one- to five-point traffic offense, you will be required to attend a safety hearing and could lose your license indefinitely. Serious offenses include:

  • Any alcohol-related offense such as drunk driving
  • Refusing to submit to a breath test
  • Aggravated unlicensed operation (driving while suspended)
  • Any alcohol-related offense committed in another state while driving with a New York license
  • Traffic violations that qualify as crimes under New York penal laws
  • Traffic offenses resulting in serious or fatal injury to another person

Multiple Violations Are Not The Only Basis For Indefinite Revocation

You could also lose your driving privileges indefinitely due to certain single offenses or incidents, including:

  • Writing a bad check for fees
  • Failing to pay a Driver Responsibility Assessment
  • Failing to pay a personal injury judgment
  • Failing to file an accident report
  • Failing to pay court-ordered child support

Can I Contest Indefinite Revocation? Yes, But You Have Only 60 Days.

You can file for a safety hearing to contest the revocation, but you must do so within 60 days. In some cases, you may be able to vacate a prior conviction and avoid indefinite suspension. Neither process is easy, which is why you should never attempt to handle it on your own or leave the responsibility to an inexperienced attorney.

Call our experienced attorneys at 212-691-0175 to learn more in a initial consultation. You may also send us your information and one of our lawyers will contact you.