How Road Rage Can Backfire in New York
The New York State DMV defines road rage as an “angry, hostile state that can increase to violent criminal actions, or attempts to do so, that result from the operation of a motor vehicle. It can include behavior to provoke other drivers or make them fearful.”
Unlike aggressive driving, which involves traffic violations like the examples below, road rage is an elevated form of aggressive driving that carries criminal consequences. This is because endangering, threatening or assaulting another person is illegal and will result in fines, jail time, court-ordered probation and the suspension or revocation of your driving privileges.
Aggressive driving includes the following actions:
- frequent or quick lane changes without a signal
- passing on the shoulder or unpaved parts of the roadway
- being a nuisance to motorists, bicyclists or pedestrians who don't get out of the way
- running stop signs and red lights
On the other hand, road rage involves more serious threats, such as:
- shouts, excessive use of a horn or obscene gestures and threats.
- cutting off another vehicle
- blocking another vehicle so it cannot use a traffic lane
- chasing another vehicle or running it off the road
- deliberately slamming into a vehicle
- stopping a vehicle at the side of the road, and getting out to threaten, attack, fight or injure another motorist, passenger, pedestrian, bicyclist or another person.
Road range is especially dangerous compared to aggressive driving (although you should try to avoid both offenses) because it can result in more than just a traffic ticket; you could suffer criminal penalties. The last thing you need is to let your emotions get the best of you and put you on the wrong side of the law.
Thus, you should seek reliable legal counsel from Martin A. Kron & Associates, P.C. to best avoid a criminal charge while safeguarding your freedom and driving privileges. To make an appointment for a free consultation with our New York traffic ticket attorney, contact us at (212) 235-1525!
We look forward to helping you maintain your peace of mind on and off the road.