Traffic and Traffic-Related Criminal Defense: Call For a Consultation. Mobile and Zoom Conferences Are Available.

What Happens If I’m Caught Driving with an Expired Registration?

Traffic offenses should always be taken seriously. Still, despite that fact, many of us do not take certain traffic violations as seriously as others. One such traffic offense, which many drivers consider to be minor, is driving with an expired registration.

In New York, vehicles must be registered before they are allowed to be driven on our roads. Vehicles must also pass an annual safety inspection to be eligible for registration. New York requires a vehicle’s registration to be renewed every two years. Contrary to popular belief, the penalties if a driver is caught driving with an expired registration are serious. In fact, while driving a vehicle with an expired registration is not considered a criminal traffic violation, driving a vehicle with a suspended registration is considered a criminal act. Still, even though it isn’t considered criminal act, if you are charged with driving a vehicle with an expired registration in New York, you can face expensive fines and, in some cases, jail time.

Penalties for Driving with an Expired Registration

The penalties that drivers can suffer for driving with an expired registration are more severe than many people think. Punishments for driving with an expired registration in New York vary depending on how long the vehicle has been unregistered. If you’re convicted of driving a vehicle that has been unregistered for less than 60 days, you could face the following penalties:

  • A fine ranging from $40 up to $300
  • A surcharge ranging from $88 up to $93
  • Up to 15 days in jail

The penalties for driving a vehicle that has been unregistered for more than 60 days can include a fine ranging from $75 to $300, a surcharge of up to $93, and up to 15 days behind bars. In addition, a conviction for driving with an expired registration can damage your driving record.

Speak with an Experienced Traffic Violations Lawyer Today

While not all traffic offenses are created equally, you never want to allow something that is initially a minor offense to develop into something serious. If you’re caught driving with an expired registration, you should act quickly to take care of the issue before you incur additional penalties.

Our Founding Attorney Martin A. Kron has over 30 years of experience dealing with traffic offenses of all kinds. Before founding Martin A. Kron & Associates, P.C., Attorney Kron spent three years as a New York State Traffic Court Judge. He understands the laws regarding traffic-related offenses extensively, and uses his knowledge, skills, and experience in that practice area to benefit his clients. If you are facing an expired registration charge, or any other traffic offense, Attorney Kron and the traffic violations defense team at Martin A. Kron & Associates, P.C. are here to help.

For more information about Martin A. Kron & Associates, P.C., read our reviews and check out our case results. To schedule a consultation to discuss your situation with our traffic violations attorney, call us at (212) 235-1525 or contact us online.

Related Posts
  • What Out-of-State Drivers Need to Know About Traffic Violations in New York Read More
  • Common Traffic Violations for CDL Holders Read More
  • When to Hire a Traffic Ticket Attorney Read More